Although I picked off the yellow leaves featured in the previous tomato plant post, more came in. So far, I’ve fed the plants Garden-tone and have cut back on the watering. I took these pictures after it rained. Sorry they aren’t the greatest, but there’s at least one with a good, clean focus.
I’m now thinking it might be early signs of blight- you can see black spots now on the leaves. It’s no surprise- we’ve had tons of rain, heat, and humidity, which supposedly are ideal conditions for this nasty. I’ve read that picking them off and spraying them is the way to go. I’ve been picking them off just because they are unsightly, but my larger plants had this last year and it did them in. Everything I’ve read says basically prevention is key, but if I could control the weather, I obviously wouldn’t be having this problem.
I’m hoping to find a replacement fungicide that doesn’t break the bank, as I hadn’t really budgeted for crazy fungus problems, and only had a little left from last year.
…Well, it’s nice to dream. The store only had one fungicide that was safe for fruity plants, which is actually the same one that I just ran out of. So, I mixed that up and applied it to the plants. Meanwhile, I am enjoying the fruits of my labor for as long as they last.
These marigolds were beautiful when I got them. I’m just hoping the buds start opening to replace the flowers that are dying off… and they are! Yay for that! I should probably post an updated picture…